7 Jul, 17 Steve Austin and Marcel von Pfyffer on ABC Radio discussing Arminius' economic leading indicator modeling of the Australian equities market, and their seemingly contrasting position to the forecast 3% GDP growth reported ahead of this years G20 summit
3 Jul, 17 SHARE MARKET INDICES The Dow Jones is one of the oldest share market indices and probably the best known. The Dow Jones Industrial Average (to give it its full name) was created in 1896 by Charles Dow and Edward Jones in order to give an aggregate picture of trading on the New York Stock Exchange. The Dow is currently owned and managed by a subsidiary of S&P Global, which also owns and manages the Standard & Poor’s indices. It is based on the share prices of its thirty constituent companies, which are selected by an arcane process. [...]
28 Jun, 17 Marcel von Pfyffer shares his views on the next U.S. Fed rate moves, and the impact on Australian and other key global economies.
15 Jun, 17 Way back in 1981, the writer William Gibson remarked “The future is already here – it’s just not very evenly distributed.” Investors tend to think of stock markets as predictive, but they are mostly the result of economic activity in the past. The largest sectors of a stock market are those which have done well in the past. They are made up of companies which have consistently made large profits and raised large amounts of capital. Investors have come to expect that these companies will keep making profits and paying dividends. But most companies don’t survive for [...]
9 June, 2017 Marcel von Pfyffer discusses the impacts of recent global geopolitical events and market movements on the Australian stock market with Steve Austin on ABC Radio Sydney.
31 May, 2017 Marcel shares his views on mixed domestic data, headwinds for major banks, dropping commodity prices; and how he expects all this will impact the local stock market
23rd May, 2017 Many people choose the passive approach to investing – they put their long-term money into index ETFs or index funds which mirror the standard share market indices, such as the S&P500 in the USA or the S&P/ASX200 in Australia. This is perfectly reasonable. After all, one of the greatest active investors of all time has recommended the passive approach. In 2014 Warren Buffett told his wife that, after he died, she should put 90% of her money into an index ETF which tracked the S&P500, and the other 10% into a high-quality US government bond ETF... [read [...]
16th May, 2017 The imminent arrival of Amazon in Australia has frightened many investors away from Australian retailers. We think that shareholders in traditional retailers should be very nervous indeed – much like the Australian media sector, the transformation of Australian retailing has barely begun. The US retailing sector is much further down the painful path to re-invention, simply because the US is where most of the successful online retailers originated. US e-commerce sales rose from 10.5% of all sales in 2012 to 15.5% in 2016. As the chart below shows, more stores have closed in the first four months [...]
19 Apr, 2017 With plenty of market uncertainty in the world, what doe Marcel von Pfyffer make of it all? Switzer TV
5 Apr, 2017 Marcel von Pfyffer joins Switzer TV to discus global stock markets in light of lower movements in Wall Street